omfg, well, we ARE talking about a series that only came into being to sell toys of giant killer robots from space that turn into firetrucks and VW beetles and tape recorders, it kinda comes with the territory
I mean, have you SEEN the Transformers wiki???
On the one hand, it’s an unbelievably extensive, useful and well-maintained database chronicling every single event in TF history, featuring contributions from actual TF writers
On the other…
Just take a look at the plot synopsis for the movie tie-in game, christ
The entire (RIDICULOUSLY HUGE) site is written and run by a bunch of smartass nerds, it’s utterly beautiful and very much representative of the fandom as a whole
I recently discovered TFwiki, and it is a work of art!
SCHOOL ENDS THIS FRIDAY
AS IN LEGITIMATELY ENDS FOREVER
AND YOU KNOW HOW OUR GRADING SYSTEM GOES FROM 1 (HELL YEAH!!!) TO 5 (HEAVENS NO!!!)
ANd YOU NEED A GRADE AVERAGE OF BELOW 1.5 TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP ($$$$$$$$$$$)
I FUCKING DID IT. I DID IT & I FEEL INCREDIBLY POWERFUL & BASICALLY UNSTOPPABLE
All that’s left to do is graduate and!!! I can do it!!! Like I’m not even lying to myself to feel better this time I can ACTUALLY DO IT it’s BASICALLY NOT EVEN A BIG DEAL ANYMORE
Usually before Important Events I’m always like yeah!!! FORCE THAT ENTHUSIASM!!! FAKE THAT CONFIDENCE UNTIL IT’S REAL and
I think I might have reached that point??? I think I’m actually there now like, I did it and I will continue to…. keep…. didding it…. and I honestly believe that and just WOOOOOOOOOO //BLOWS INTO NOISEMAKER FOR 5 MINUTES STRAIGHT
I’M SORRY THIS IS CHEESY I’M JUST. I’M STILL GIDDY. I’M VIBRATING OUT OF MY CHAIR BASICALLY. I MIGHT DELETE THIS LATER THERE’S NO REASON TO KEEP THIS POST
oh yeah also pssssssst
Official petition to change the name of Homestuck’s birthday to Shaypril Glurpeenth.
Yay, another thing to look forward to on 4/13!
Congratulations on the scholarship!
the Bechdel test, the Ellen Willis test, ALL THE TESTS: or, a handy guide to feminist critiques of narrative
(reference for when i am trying to explain these to people and they are looking at me like “huh”):
- the Bechdel test: does the story have a) more than one women, b) who talk to each other, c) about something other than a man.
- the Ellen Willis test: if you flip the genders, does the story still make sense?
- the Sexy Lamp test (courtesy of Kelly Sue DeConnick): can you replace your female character with a sexy lamp and still have the story work? if yes, YOU ARE A HACK.
- the Mako Mori test: there is a) at least one female character, b) who gets her own narrative arc, c) that is not about supporting a man’s story.
- the Tauriel test (which i made up in response to The Hobbit 2 [which passes] and Skyfall [which fails]): a) there is a woman, b) WHO IS GOOD AT HER JOB.
and in justification of my recent TV obsessions, i would like to note that Scandal, The Vampire Diaries, Buffy, and Nikita (ALL HAIL MAGGIE Q) pass all of these tests with flying colors.
UPDATE: i just discovered the Finkbeiner test and it is FANTASTIC.
A vital contribution to American Lettres.
A note: The Bechdel test gains a lot of weight when you compare it with the gender-flipped Bechdel test: “Are there two men who talk to each other about something other than a woman?” Without that, you might theorize that maybe movies are just romance-heavy or something, but no, I’ve not yet actually thought of a movie which has characters with speaking roles that doesn’t pass the gender-flipped Bechdel test. There might be some somewhere, but it’s rare.
I can think of a few examples off the top of my head, but yeah, it’s pretty frakkin’ rare. In contrast, the Bechdel Test failure rate is shockingly high in the mainstream media, even for Academy Award Best Picture nominees.
Andrew Hussie will be at Emerald City Comicon this year.
Yes, that Andrew Hussie. We didn’t think it was going to happen, but it turns out Seattle Homestuck fans are just so awesome that he decided to come back again! He will have one signing on Saturday, and one on Sunday. (In the Signing Area A on the fourth floor, at 2PM, two item limit per person.) Commence screaming.
This is a thing. And Andrew is doing it. And we hope to see you there. :D
*stamps with What Pumpkin’s Tumblr Seal of Approval*
Great news for all the Vanstucks who could make it to ECCC this year.
NEVER trust an adult who won’t apologize to a child
Wow. I’d never seen it put that way, but. Wow. That is a really good piece of advice.
I’m curious, why is this good advice?
*Is having problems reconstructing the mechanism of human behavior that would make this advice good.*
In general, if you wrong people, you apologize to them. “An adult who won’t apologize to a child” is implicitly an adult who will refuse to apologize to children they have wronged. There are no likely good reasons for anyone to refuse to apologize to a child you’ve wronged. There are a lot of likely bad reasons, nearly all of which come down to “won’t apologize to people who have less power than you”, and that’s a very bad sign.
I had some teachers like that back in grade school. *cringe*
Anonymous asked: Luka, how do I turn into a libertarian douchebro? Is there a step-by-step process?
1. be a young man who belongs to the most privileged social stratum in America, or who sees the potential within himself to ascend thereto, and have some mild annoyances
2. become aware that taxes are a thing that you have to pay, and Mom and Dad won’t always be there to do it for you, and you still aren’t allowed to smoke weed or drink until you’re older
3. read a fake reddit story about a poor black mother with five children on social assistance existing in a public place
4. FUCKING RAGE
5. create simulation that does away with all aspects of society you don’t want to have to think about when you grow up, in which all human beings are represented as generic, frictionless objects moving through a simplified wireframe version of society that you constructed without, as they say, the Clue Basic as to how these things work. your personal experience is the model for Citizen constructs—what more do you need?
6. when simulation does not explode into civil war, declare your political beliefs superior, and apply finishing coat.
7. hug pillow every election night, weeping, and repeat the magic words: “free market, free market” until disillusionment abates.
Pretty sure ‘purchase trilby and trenchcoat’ should be in there somewhere.
Is there any hat that hasn’t been ruined by douchebros yet?
thehypocriticalintrovert asked: If we are looking at Homestuck from a theoretical philosophical point of view, what relevance do dream selves have? What I really mean is what is the point of dream selves apart form points like: a second life, to block out visions of horror-terrors, or gain access to Derse and Prospit quicker etc?
Hoo, boy. :T
This is one of the (semi-)rare questions where you’re asking the wrong person.
I can give you some practical and purely game reasons why dream selves exist, sure:
- Extra lives, which are necessary given the game’s perils and opportunities for sacrifice.
- They allow split influence from Skaia and the Horrorterrors directly upon the protagonists, echoing (for example) the cultural influences one would receive in a real life conflict between Creation and Destruction, what the game is built to represent in the broadest terms.
- If sleeping players are useful, then players are encouraged not to lose necessary sleep out of obligation to stay productive during a session. Some players may ignore this, like Karkat, but that’s at their discretion, and they’re liable to pay for not learning the lessons their dreams have to offer.
- "Waking up" one’s dreamself is aligned with spiritual awakening, with seeing and accepting things about one’s self or one’s situation that one had refused to recognize. There are thus some obtuse mental, emotional, and philosophical implications of dreamselves — their awakening, nature, behavior, and meaning — which are not explicitly specified. One of the game’s main goals is to help you grow up and mature, learning about yourself, after all.
- The existence of split bodies containing the same self - the operational qualities of which can be transferred or relinquished with a kiss - ties heavily into the concept of the ‘soul’ in Homestuck, of one’s individual uniqueness being representable by different bodies or ghosts across the void, even in scratched instances of the same universe. Thus, the existence and dynamic of dreamselves hints at this nature of reality to players. (I can’t quite find the link where I said this, but…) One instance I like to highlight is how John gave Dave the Stiller Shades in B1, heavily influencing Dave’s identity, but post-scratch guardian Dave in B2 acquired them himself. On a tacit look, you could say that the Stiller Shades were always an innate part of his very soul, transcending universes in its identity. However, another way to look at it is this: John may have been the one to inject the influence of Stiller shades into Dave’s soul in the first place, rather than a cosmic coincidence leading John to do so, meaning John literally affected Dave’s immortal soul across timelines! Just a possibility, though.
- One’s dreamself and real self represent twin halves (or in Captors’ cases, triplet thirds) of the same individual. This contributes to a sense of ‘dichotomy’, of a dualism of the self in ‘reality’ and the self in a dream-like ‘ideal’, and their unifying is implied — by Quest-Bed God-Tiering — to result in some semblance of perfection from a mythological point of view. There have also been instances of dream selves reflecting shadows of an original person, whether their ‘shadow roles’ or (in Jadesprite’s case) sides of one’s self one must come to terms with.
- (And of course, there’s the Problem Sleuth imaginary-self / imagination-world parallel that likely drove Andrew to spawn them in the first place.)
However, the reasons above do not cover all the reasoning behind dreamselves, their operation, and especially not why they exist. I’m the wrong person to ask about that, because the concept of the dreamself as it exists in Homestuck is rife with mythological allusions and parallels.
(I imagine a couple might reply to this post if they want your attention on the issue.)
Additional notes about the importance of dream selves:
- Dream selves seem to reflect players’ self-images. Which would explain why dream Tavros wasn’t paralyzed and dream Vriska wasn’t missing an arm or eye, while dream Terezi was blind, dream Equius had a broken horn and missing teeth and Caliborn kept his robotic leg and gold tooth.
- This property seems to tie in pretty closely with the internal identity vs. external image, innate nature vs. deliberate choice conflicts of the Heart / Mind aspect pair, giving players clues which can help them work out those conflicts, gain insight into the nature of those aspects and understand the importance of cultivating a healthy balance between opposing aspets (as oposed to overembracing or underebracing). For examle, I’m guessing that these clues helped Terezi work out her issues after the Team Charge debacle, and become a better Seer of Mind (at least until her personal growth was deliberately sabotaged by Team English and unintentionally sabotaged by Aranea’s well-intentioned but reckless meddling).
- I’ve noticed that players who aren’t in tune with their natures (Heart) or their choices (Mind) tend to have trouble using their powers effectively. I’m pretty sure you talked about this in your theory posts about inversion, overembracing, underembracing and the Ultimate Riddle.
As for philosophical themes, I’m not really sure, but I know that The Matrix very briefly touches upon it with the concept of residual self images, and I’ve heard that the Matrix trilogy was heavily inspired by the cyberpunk genre (particurarly the Ghost in the Shell anime), Gnostic and Buddhist philosophy, and Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, so you might find something by looking in those direction. (Also, the Ghost in the Shell series uses the mutability and artificial nature of its’ cyborg protagonists’ robotic bodies to explores themes of identity, individuality, choice, nature and motivaton, and I’ve seen dream self mutability used to explore similar themes in fanfic. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a direct inspiration, Andrew Hussie isn’t much of an anime fan, but I wouldn’t be surprized if Homestuck and GiTS shared some common sources of inspiration.)
Also, as I understand it, Carl Jung’s theories about dreams and archetypes were pretty influential.
Anonymous asked: the reason homestuck seems to draw sjws is probably that the rising popularity of homestuck in about act 5 coincided very closely with the rise of social justice culture AND the rise of tumblr, making literally everything about homestuck an echo chamber with a "NO OPPRESSORS ALLOWED" sign on the clubhouse door. it feels like you have to sign a liability form to fucking enter the fandom. so people parrot what they've been told.
Seems legit. i came into Tumblr and Homestuck at the same time (right when “Seer:Descend” hit) and was not aware what Tumblr even was before that point.
(Seriously, until I joined, the only thing I knew about the entire website was that there was a way to see neat fanart by typing /tagged/crona into the url bar)
So I didn’t see it for myself, but your analysis fits with stuff I’ve heard from people who were here earlier, mostly jumping ship from LJ. I was experienced with, and heartily sick of, that place’s SJW faction, but I was not aware that it was migrating over to Tumblr.
I’m glad I didn’t know. I never would have joined.
I think one of the reasons that Homestuck seems to be a popular target for SJ wank is because it a lot of the sort of stuff that progressive-leaning people tend to love (such as non-stereotypical or stereotype-subverting portrayals of the sorts of characters who don’t typically get much representation in mainstream media) and a lot of the sort of stuff that SJWs tend to hate (such as portrayals of the sorts of characters who don’t typically get much representation in mainstream media as regular people with flaws who make mistakes and aren’t 100% perfect or 100% politically correct 100% of the time).
For the fanatical SJW true believers, I’m guessing that seeing the broader fandom getting all giddy over something imperfect offends them because of that whole “the perfect as the enemy of the good” / “narcissism of small differences” thing, and that Homestuck’s irreverent satire and snarky attitude offends their humourless “everything is serious business” sensibilities. Homestuck’s supposed to be kind of progressive-leaning, and it’s ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, but it’s not supposed to be a polemic or an author tract, and it’s not supposed to be 100% perfect or 100% politically correct, and the author is comfortable with the knowledge that he’s human and fallible and makes mistakes, and doesn’t take himself too seriously, and these sorts of attitudes pervade the fandom, which is pretty hard to shoehorn into a simplistic, “with us or against us” worldview, making it scary and confusing, unlike shock comedy, which is overtly offensive but easy to categorize. (Kind of reminds me of how pundits on the fringes of the political spectrum tend to assume that people who disagree with them are either fools, trolls or charlatans, and tend to have trouble accepting the possibility of reasonable, intelligent, well-informed people with legitimate reasons to sincerely disagree.)
For the bigots disguised as SJWs, the fact that Homestuck is portraying the sorts of people they hate in positive, humanizing manners is a reason to hate it, and the fact that the representations aren’t 100% perfect or 100% politically correct and SJWs are angry about it is seen as a vulnerability to exploit.
Of course the SJ-themed bullies see the whole thing as a convenient smokescreen and the SJ-themed trolls see the whole thing as a drama bomb.
It all seems pretty similar all the SJ wank drama in the WTNV fandom. This is why we can’t have night things. T_T
(It reminds me of how, back in the nineties, a lot of liberal parents’ groups tended to get all angry and offended by representation which was less than 100% perfect or less than 100% politically correct, but never seemed to lift a finger to encourage better representation, and wouldn’t dare to speak out against the conservative parents’ groups who were actively attacking diversity. In fact, I’m pretty sure that, back in the nineties, the combined efforts of liberal, conservative and non-partisan parents’ groups were a major factor behind the heavy Bowdlerization of localized video games and anime.)
(Also, all this talk of SJ wankery reminds me of Wikipedia’s satirical article on “The Truth”, which does a pretty good job of illustrating the problems with wankery and the importance of critical thinking in discussions about controversial topics.)